Cleaning up a messy refrigerator leak can leave plenty of time for pondering its source. Wondering why is my Whirlpool refrigerator leaking water? Refrigerator water filters often cause leaks. Make sure you have the right brand filter that’s installed correctly and is free of damage. Determine why your Whirlpool refrigerator is leaking with these troubleshooting tips.
Top 5 Reasons For a Whirlpool Refrigerator Leaking Water
As frustrating as refrigerator leaks can be, most causes are easy to determine and can be fixed with a simple adjustment or repair. The following list details the top 5 reasons for a Whirlpool refrigerator leaking water and how to stop leaks at the source.
Leaky Refrigerator Water Line
How do you know if your refrigerator water line is leaking? In addition to puddles at the back of the refrigerator, altered ice and water production can also occur.
Common causes of Whirlpool refrigerator water line leaking include:
- Damaged water inlet hose: This hose transports water from your home water line to the refrigerator. Any cracks or holes in the hose will cause leaks when water flows. A damaged hose must be replaced.
- Loose hose fitting: The water hose connects to the refrigerator and supply line via two metal fittings. Leaks from the fittings can occur if they’re not sufficiently tight. Check both fittings and tighten them if they’re loose.
- Faulty water supply line: Leaks can also occur if your home’s water line is cracked or damaged. In this case, the line should be inspected and replaced by a professional plumber.
Clogged Refrigerator Defrost Drain
A refrigerator defrost drain transports any accumulated water in the defrost system to the drain pan beneath the refrigerator. Where is the defrost drain on a Whirlpool refrigerator? It’s typically located on the freezer’s rear wall. Given this location, sometimes the defrost drain becomes clogged with ice or food particles, causing leaks that form frost. When this happens your freezer won’t defrost sufficiently due to the excess moisture. Flushing the drain with warm water should dispel the clog and fix the leak.
In other instances, an excess of frozen items can impede the drain, causing leaks. Knowing how to organize a refrigerator freezer and avoiding overloading can prevent leaks and blockages.
Whirlpool Water Filter Leaking
As convenient as refrigerator water filters may be, they’re a common source of leaks. When they occur, you’ll usually notice your Whirlpool refrigerator leaking water from water dispenser or from the interior filter compartment.
Here’s why Whirlpool water filter leaks may occur:
- Wrong water filter brand: Replacing your original water filter with a generic brand can result in a poor fit that leads to leaks. Always replace your water filter with an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) filter, made and sold by the same brand as your refrigerator.
- Incorrect installation: A water filter that’s not installed correctly can result in leaks. Refer to your user manual for installation instructions specific to your model filter and refrigerator.
- Damaged filter: Cracks or holes in the filter can also cause leaks. A damaged filter can’t be repaired and must be replaced.
Refrigerator Drain Pan Is Leaking
In some instances, a Whirlpool refrigerator leaking water from the bottom may be due to a damaged drain pan. While the condenser fan helps any accumulated water evaporate, cracks or holes will cause pan leaks before the water has a chance to dissipate. Pull the drain pan out from beneath the refrigerator and inspect it for signs of damage. A damaged pan must be replaced.
Faulty Water Inlet Valve
A refrigerator’s water inlet valve opens and closes, allowing water from your home’s water line to supply the dispenser and ice maker. Cracks or damage to the valve or its metal fitting can cause leaks at the valve site. When this happens, you typically notice your Whirlpool refrigerator leaking water from the back.
The water inlet valve is located at the bottom of the refrigerator, behind its rear panel. If an inspection reveals any damage, the valve requires replacement.
Cody’s Appliance Repair can help when you need a refrigerator repair service. Call us if you find your Whirlpool refrigerator leaking water or for any kitchen appliance repair.