Thanksgiving is a time for family, friends, and of course, food! From the traditional turkey and ham to all the delicious side dishes, there’s a lot of food to enjoy on Thanksgiving. But what about the drinks? What is the best wine for Thanksgiving dinner? We’ll discuss some popular wine choices for Thanksgiving and give you our recommendations on what wines to serve at your holiday feast!
How to Choose the Best Wine for Thanksgiving
When it comes to the wine pairings for Thanksgiving, there are a few factors to consider. Here’s how to choose the right bottle for your meal.
Thanksgiving Wine Pairings
First, you’ll want to think about what dishes you’ll be serving. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce are just a few of the traditional Thanksgiving foods. Each of these dishes has its own unique flavor profile that can be enhanced or changed by the wine you pair it with. You’ll also want to consider the personalities of your guests. Do you have any wine lovers in attendance? Or are you looking for a more budget-friendly option that will please everyone? With these factors in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best wines for Thanksgiving.
Sparkling wines are a good all arounder for Thanksgiving. They can be paired with a variety of dishes and they’re always a hit with guests. For red wine lovers, these can pair well with turkey and other poultry dishes. White wines can pair well with stuffing, mashed potatoes, and other side dishes, and can go well with poultry and ham too. And last but not least, dessert wines are a great way to end the meal on a sweet note.
Best White Wine for Thanksgiving
1. Chardonnay is a versatile white wine that pairs well with many different dishes. It has a smooth, buttery flavor that can stand up to rich dishes like turkey and mashed potatoes. This is the perfect dish to serve with the main course, and it won’t be too rich or filling for your guests.
2. Riesling is a sweet white wine that pairs well with turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. It can help balance out the savory flavors of the main course and add a touch of sweetness to your meal. This is a good choice for those who like a sweeter wine or for those who are looking for an alternative to red wine.
3. Sauvignon Blanc is a crisp white wine that pairs well with lighter dishes like turkey and ham. It has a refreshing acidity that will cut through the richness of your meal and leave your guests feeling satisfied. This is a good choice for those who are looking for a white wine that is not too sweet.
Best Red Wine for Thanksgiving
1. Pinot Noir is a light-bodied red wine that pairs well with turkey, ham, and most side dishes. It has a slightly sweet flavor that can help cut through the richness of some of the heavier dishes on the Thanksgiving table. This is a good choice for guests who prefer red wine or for those who want to try something new.
2. Merlot is a medium-bodied red wine that pairs well with meat courses and hearty side dishes. It has a smooth, velvety texture that can help round out the flavors of your meal. This is a good choice for those who prefer red wine or for those who are looking for a more full-bodied option.
3. Cabernet Sauvignon is a full-bodied red wine that pairs well with rich dishes like turkey and ham. It has a bold flavor that can stand up to the richest dishes on the Thanksgiving table. If you like red wine and a stronger flavor, then this is the wine for you.
Best Sparkling Wine for Thanksgiving
1. Prosecco is a light, sparkling wine that pairs well with Thanksgiving dinner. It has a light refreshing flavor that makes it a great choice for a holiday meal and can help cut the greasiness of Thanksgiving staples with its acid. Proseccos are usually less expensive than other sparkling wines, making them a good choice for those on a budget.
2. Champagne is a sparkling wine that pairs well with Thanksgiving dinner. It has a light flavor and can also help cut the heaviness of some of the traditional Thanksgiving dishes thanks to its high acidity.
Best Dessert Wines for Thanksgiving
1. Moscato is a sweet, dessert wine that pairs well with pumpkin pie and other Thanksgiving desserts. It has a light, fruity flavor that makes it a great pairing for rich desserts. If you’re looking for Thanksgiving dessert recipes we have a blog for that too!
2. Port is a full-bodied red wine that pairs well with pumpkin pie and other Thanksgiving desserts. It has a rich, sweet flavor that can stand up to the sweetness of your dessert. If you like red wine and a sweeter flavor, then this is the wine for you.
No matter what wine you choose to serve on Thanksgiving, the most important thing is that you enjoy it with your friends and family. We hope our picks for the best wine for Thanksgiving have helped. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, and if you need any help with your appliances including wine cooler repairs, Cody’s Appliance Repair is here for you!